Victoria Gardens Today’s news about the shooting says that the shooter is now on lockdown. Clearly, figuring out what to do when there is an active shooter is one of the most complicated things anyone will ever have to do. Before the police arrive, how you respond to an active shooter will depend on the situation. Keep in mind that there could be more than one shooter in the same situation.
If you find yourself in a situation with an active shooter, try to stay as calm as possible and use these tips to help you figure out how to stay alive. Think about the fact that the whole area is still a crime scene. Follow For More Updates at Rapiddnews.com
On the University Police Department website, students and workers at Texas A&M can watch videos that teach them what to do when shots are fired in Victoria Gardens. You can also get them through MediaMatrix (you’ll need a Texas A&M NetID to see them): Shots Fired: When Lightning Strikes and Shots Fired Victoria Gardens: When Lightning Strikes: Student Edition are both videos (workplace violence video). Faculty and staff can also watch the videos by logging into TrainTraq and looking for the online courses “Shots Fired” and “Shots Fired On Campus.”
Shooter on Victoria Gardens the loose outside the building
- Go to a room where you can use what you have to lock or block the door.
- Close the window blinds, turn off the lights, and get everyone down on the floor so that no one can be seen from outside the room.
- Spread out and hide behind desks, file cabinets, walls, etc.
- Have someone call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or any campus phone.
Know that the 911 system is probably going to be overloaded.
- When you reach the dispatcher, explain what’s going on and tell them your name and where you are. Stay where you are until the police say “All Clear.”
- If you hear voices you don’t recognize, it could be the shooter trying to get you to leave your safe spot. Don’t respond to voice commands until you know for sure that they are coming from a police officer.
Building with an active shooter
- If you can, secure the room you are in by locking or blocking the door with whatever you can find, and then follow the steps above.
- If you can’t lock the room, figure out if there is a safe place nearby that you can reach and then lock, or if you can leave the building safely.